Giorgio Stefano Gnecco was born in Genoa, Italy. From 2020, he is Associate Professor in Operations Research at the IMT - School for Advanced Studies, Lucca, working in the Analysis of compleX Economic Systems (AXES) research unit, where he was Tenure-Track Assistant Professor (“Ricercatore Tipo B”) in Operations Research, from 2017 to 2020. From 2013 to 2017, he was a Fixed Term Assistant Professor (“Ricercatore Tipo A”) in Control Systems at IMT Lucca, working in the Dynamical Systems, Control and Optimization (DYSCO) research unit. From 2016 to 2022, he was Director of the local Research Unit of INdAM (National Institute for Advanced Mathematics) at IMT - Lucca (the position could be held for 3 years followed by a possible renewal for other 3 years, for a total of at most 6 years).
His scientific production includes 1 book published by Springer, 100 papers in international journals (88 in journals indexed by both ISI and Scopus, other 7 in journals indexed by Scopus only, and 1 in a journal indexed by ISI only), 1 editorial in an international journal, 27 book chapters, and 94 international conference papers/abstracts. 41 of his journal papers are in “Class A” journals for “Area 13: Economics and Statistics”.
During his career, Giorgio Stefano Gnecco has collaborated, among others:
- in Italy with scholars coming from the Polytechnic University of Milan, the National Research Council, and the Universities of: Bergamo, Bologna, Brescia, Catania, Chieti-Pescara, Ferrara, Genoa, Pisa, Salerno, Siena, Trieste;
- abroad with scholars coming from: Belgium (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven), China (Zhejiang Normal University), Czech Republic (Academy of Sciences), France (ESSEC Business School, University of Montpellier), Israel (Bar-Ilan University), Turkey (Ozyegin University), UK (Birmingham City University, Imperial College).
Giorgio Stefano Gnecco obtained:
- 4 Italian National Scientific Qualifications for the role of Full Professor in: Operations Research (2018); Mathematical Methods of Economics and of Actuarial and Financial Sciences (2021); Computer Science (2021); Information Processing Systems (2022);
- 1 additional National Scientific Qualification for the role of Associate Professor in Control Systems (2021).
Since 2013, 2020, and 2021, respectively, he has been Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, Action Editor for Neural Networks, and Associate Editor for Neurocomputing.
He is/was Principal Investigator of
- the “PRIN PNRR 2022” research project “MOTUS - Automated Analysis and Prediction of Human Movement Qualities”,
- the “INdAM-GNAMPA 2023” research project “Development of Machine-Learning Methods for the Estimation of the Shapley Value and of its Generalizations”, granted by INdAM-GNAMPA (Italian National Institute for High Mathematics, National Group for Mathematical Analysis, Probability, and their Applications),
- the “Contributi Liberali 2022” research project “Application of Matrix Completion Techniques to the Definition of Economic and Financial Recommender Systems”, granted by Banca d'Italia,
- the “Game in Lab 2022” research project “Increasing Accessibility of Online Board Games to Blind and Visually Impaired People via Machine Learning”, granted by Game in Lab,
- the “INdAM-GNAMPA 2020” research project “Trade-off between Number of Examples and Precision in Variations of the Fixed-Effects Panel Data Model”, granted by INdAM-GNAMPA (Italian National Institute for High Mathematics, National Group for Mathematical Analysis, Probability, and their Applications),
Unit Responsible and Substitute Principal Investigator of
- the “PRIN 2022” research project “Multiscale Analysis of Human and Artificial Trajectories: Models and Applications”,
Project Responsible of
- the “Tuscany Region Call for Research Grants 2023” research project “ROBOFARM – Development of Edge Computing Tools for Robotic Platforms in the Context of Precision Agriculture” (in collaboration with Sigma Ingegneria),
Italian Coordinator of
- the “Galileo 2021” research project “Automatic Movement Analysis Techniques for Applications in Cognitive/Motor Rehabilitation” between Italy and France,
- the “Galileo 2019” research project “Should Forests be Restored by Polluters or Deforesters? An Approach based on Game Theory” between Italy and France,
and Italian Responsible of
- the “Research in Pairs” research project “On the Expressive Power of Neural Nets with Random Weights”, granted by ICTP (International Centre for Theoretical Physics) and INdAM (Italian National Institute for High Mathematics) between Italy and China.
For more information, see the updated cv (containing also a list of publications), the profile on Researchgate, and a list of citations on Scopus and Google Scholar.
Office hours: every Tuesday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. (in case of lectures, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.).
Current research interests include operations research, game theory, statistics, machine learning theory and applications, neural networks, multi-agent control systems, and optimization applied to telecommunications networks, to economics, and to civil engineering.