Marco Paggi received his Master's Degree in Civil Engineering in 2001 and his Ph.D. in Structural Engineering in 2005 from Politecnico di Torino, Italy. After a Post-Doctoral Fellowship (2005-2007), he became Assistant Professor of Structural Mechanics in the same University (2007-2013). He spent the year 2010 as an Alexander von Humboldt Fellow in the Institute of Continuum Mechanics of the Leibniz University of Hannover, Germany. He has been appointed Associate Professor (November 2013-December 2017, direct appointment as an ERC principal investigator) and Full Professor (December 2017-present) of Structural Mechanics at the IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca, Italy, where he is the Director of the Research Unit MUSAM - Multi-Scale Analysis of Materials, and of the experimental laboratory MUSAM Lab. He serves as elected member of the Academic Council (November 2013-December 2015; March 2017-present) and he has been appointed Rector's Delegate for Research (December 2015-October 2021), Member of the Executive Board of the Joint Technology Transfer Office (February 2016-October 2021), Rector's Delegate for Buildings, Spaces and Sustainability (November 2022-October 2024). He is currently Coordinator of the PhD in Management of Digital Transformation (cycles 38, 39) and Director of the Track in Computational Mechanics for the PhD in Systems Science (cycles 38, 39).
He has been visiting professor at the IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca (October 2013), visiting full professor at the Laboratoire de Modélisation et Simulation Multi Echelle of the Université Paris EST (May 2014), adjunct professor of Structural Mechanics at the University of Trento (A.Y. 2016-2017) and at the University of Pisa (A.Y. 2016-2017 and A.Y. 2017-2018), visiting professor at Politecnico di Torino (June-July 2018), visiting GIAN professor at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (May 2019), visiting professor at the University of Girona (March 2022). He is member of the International Advisory Board of the Excellence Laboratory MANUTECH-SISE (Lyon-St Etienne, France) on Science and Engineering of Surfaces and Interfaces (2020-2024).
He is the Chair of the Executive Committee of the Mechanics of Materials Group of the Italian Association of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics since September 2022, member of the same Committee since September 2015. Member of the Task 13 Committee on Performance and Reliability of Photovoltaic Systems of the International Energy Agency, Photovoltaic Power Systems Programme (IEA-PVPS) since 2014. He has been an Elected Member of the Executive Board of the Italian Group of Fracture, 2009-2011 & 2011-2013. Member of the Board of Directors of Lucense scarl (2019-2022 & 2022-2025). Member of the Scientific and Technical Committee of the National Competence Centre ARTES4.0 for Industry 4.0 (2019-2021 & 2022-2024) and Coordinator of its Academic and Research Board (March 2021-February 2022).
- International Journal of Solids and Structures (Elsevier), Member of the Board of Editors since 2016.
- Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering, Section Tribology, Founding Associate Editor since 2018.
- Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures (Taylor & Francis), Contributing Editor since 2017.
- Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science (SAGE), Associate Editor from 2014 to 2018, Member of the Editorial Board since 2018.
- Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group), category Chemical Physics, Member of the Editorial Board since 2015.
- Computers, Materials & Continua (Tech Science Press), Member of the Editorial Board since 2018.
- The Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design (SAGE), Member of the Editorial Board since 2011.
- Frontiers in Mechanics of Materials, Member of the Editorial Review Board since 2014.
- Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering (AIMS Press), Member of the Editorial Board since 2018.
- Heliyon (Elsevier), Member of the Editorial Board from 2018 to 2019.
- American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Member of the Editorial Board from 2015 to 2018.
Honours and awards
- 2022 - Included in the Top Scientist list of Research.com in the area Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
- 2021 - Included in the Top Italian Scientists list, section Engineering.
- 2020, 2021, 2022 - Included in the World’s Top 2% Scientists List, doi:10.17632/btchxktzyw.2, 10.17632/btchxktzyw.3, 10.17632/btchxktzyw.4.
- 2017 – Biography included in Cartaditalia n. 3 “New frontiers of scientific research in Italy” published by Istituto Italiano di Cultura, Bruxelles, in Italian, French, English and Dutch.
- March 2014 – Nominated Member of the Young Academy of Europe, affiliated to Academia Europaea, Alumno since 2022.
- March 2012 – Scholarship ABMEC (Brazilian Association for Computational Methods in Engineering) for the participation in the 10th World Congress of Computational Mechanics, July 8-13, 2012, San Paolo, Brasil.
- 2008, 2009, 2010 & 2011 - Award for Outstanding Scientific Activity of a Young Researcher conferred by Politecnico di Torino (2008: 5th position among all young faculty members; 2009: 2nd position; 2010: 1st position; 2011: 1st position).
- January 2011 - Prize for Outstanding Collaboration of a Visiting Researcher (Auszeichnung für hervorragende Zusammenarbeit als Gastwissenschaftler), conferred by the Freundeskreis der Leibniz Universität Hannover, Sektion Mechanik.
- September 2010 - 2010 Young Scientist Award, conferred by the European Structural Integrity Society. The purpose of the Young Scientist Award is to recognize individuals younger than 40 who have made distinguished, innovative work in fracture mechanics in their early career. The award was given to Dr. Paggi: "For outstanding contributions to fracture mechanics, and particularly in fatigue scaling, friction effects and nonlinear crack modelling".
- January 2010 - Fellowship of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. The AvH sponsorship is limited to those individuals who have demonstrated outstanding achievements in research and who contribute significantly to international cooperation and understanding.
- June 2009 - Prize for Young Authors IGF 2009 conferred by the Italian Group of Fracture (IGF) for the paper entitled "Fatigue of quasi-brittle materials: a unified interpretation of microstructural size, crack size and size-scale effects".
- March 2009 - Selected by a joint ESF-ALLEA review panel as one of the 21 participants to attend the ESF-ALLEA Early Career Researchers Forum "Humanities Spring 2009 I" with the title "From Learned Societies to Knowledge-Based Society: Towards a European Young Academy? ", Vienna, 8-10 June, 2009.
- September 2002 - Prize Optime for the best young graduates of the year, conferred by the Industrial Union of Turin, in collaboration with the Turin University and Politecnico di Torino.
- 2020-2024 - Coordinator of a research unit, H2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie ITN project NEWFRAC "New strategies for multifield fracture problems across scales in heterogeneous systems for Energy, Health and Transport" (GA 861061), 3,359,824 Euro.
- 2019-2022 - Coordinator of a research unit, Project of Relevant National Interest 2017 (PRIN) ''XFAST-SIMS: Extra fast and accurate simulation of complex structural systems'', MIUR, 1,199,955 Euro.
- 2018-2021 – Coordinator of a research unit, POR FESR 2014/2020 – action 1.1.5 sub-action a1 - Call 1, Strategic Projects of Research and Development project ''GlycoG-Lab 4.0'', Regione Toscana, 2,500,575 Euro.
- 2018-2020 – Principal investigator, MIUR-DAAD Joint Mobility Program 2017 "Multi-scale modeling of friction for large scale engineering problems", 40,000 Euro. The project, in collaboration with Prof. Dr.-Ing. A. Popp (Bundeswehr Universitaet Munich) is granted by MIUR and DAAD.
- 2018-2019 - Coordinator for IMT, H2020 call Marie Sklodowska-Curie COFUND project "Brilliant Researchers Impact on Growth Health and Trust in research" (GA 818515) 200,000 Euro.
- 2018-2019 – Principal investigator, POR FSE 2014/2020 PROPAINT "Intelligent design of innovative functionalized paints", Regione Toscana, 54,000 Euro.
- 2017-2018 – Principal investigator, ERC Proof of Concept 2016 PHYSIC "Photovoltaics with superior crack resistance", European Research Council (GA 737447) 149,500 Euro.
- 2012-2017 – Principal investigator, ERC Starting Grant 2012 CA2PVM "Multi-scale and multi-physics computational approach to design and durability of photovoltaic modules", European Research Council (GA 306622) 1,483,980 Euro.
- 2016-2017 - Coordinator for IMT, H2020 call Marie Sklodowska-Curie COFUND project "Brilliant Researchers Impact on Growth Health and Trust in research" (GA 722944) 180,000 Euro.
- 2012-2016 - Principal investigator, FIRB Futuro in Ricerca 2010 "Structural mechanics models for renewable energy applications", MIUR, 954,800 Euro.
- 2011-2012 - Principal investigator, Vigoni Project 2010 "3D modelling of crack propagation in polycrystalline materials" (15,000 Euro). The project, in collaboration with Prof. Dr.-Ing. P. Wriggers (Leibniz University Hannover, Hannover, Germany), is granted by MIUR, Ateneo Italo-Tedesco, and DAAD.
- Member of the International Steering Committee, 15th International Conference on Fracture, ICF15, June 11-16, 2023, Atlanta, US.
- Member of the Scientific Committee, XXV Congress of the Italian Association of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, AIMETA, September 4-9, 2022, Palermo, Italy.
- Member of the Scientific Committee, Contact Mechanics International Symposium, CMIS2022, May 23-25, 2022, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Chairman of the 2nd Workshop "Expanding Horizons", NEWFRAC Innovative Training Network, May 9-12, 2022, Lucca, Italy.
- Chairman of the PRO Winter School, NEWFRAC Innovative Training Network, February 7-11, 2022, Lucca, Italy.
- Member of the Scientific Committee, 1st International Conference on Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, ICMAMS 2018, June 17-20, 2018, Torino, Italy.
- Member of the International Scientific Committee, Contact Mechanics International Symposium, May 16-18, 2018, Oropa (Biella), Italy.
- Member of the Scientific Committee, 14th International Conference on Fracture, June 18-23, 2017, Rhodes, Greece.
- Member of the Scientific Committee, 5th International Conference on Computational Modeling of Fracture and Failure of Materials and Structures CFRAC 2017, June 14-16, 2017, Nantes, France.
- Chairman of the GIMC-GMA2016 XXI National Conference of Computational Mechanics and the VIII Meeting of the AIMETA Materials Group, June 27-29, 2016, Lucca, Italy.
- Chairman of the EUROMECH Colloquium 575 on Contact Mechanics and Coupled Problems in Surface Phenomena, March 30-April 2, 2015, Lucca, Italy (Co-Chairman: Prof. D.A. Hills, University of Oxford, UK).
- Member of the Local Organizing Committee, ECCOMAS Thematic Conference eXtended Discretization MethodS XDMS 2015, September 9-11, 2015, Ferrara, Italy.
- Member of the Scientific Committee, Workshop "State of the art and challenges in thermal and mechanical modelling of ceramic materials", Trento, Italy, March 20, 2015.
- Member of the Local Organizing Committee, XXI Congress of the Italian Association of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, September 17-20, 2013, Torino, Italy.
- Member of the Scientific Committee, 8th FraMCoS International Conference on Fracture Mechanics of Concrete and Concrete Structures, March 10-14, 2013, Toledo, Spain.
- Organizer of the Workshop of the Italian Group of Fracture on "Virtual Testing of Materials and Structures", October 8, 2012, Torino, Italy.
- Member of the Local Organizing Committee, IUTAM Symposium "Fracture phenomena in nature and technology", July 1-5, 2012, Brescia, Italy.
- Member of the Local Organizing Committee, 11th International Conference on Fracture (ICF11), Turin, Italy, March 20-25, 2005.
Invited seminars and keynote lectures
Prof. Paggi has been invited to deliver seminars at the following universities and research centres: University of Oxford, Northwestern University, ETH Zurich, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Institute of Fundamental Technological Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences, University of Portsmouth, Scuola Normale Superiore, University of Trento, Politecnico di Milano, University of Pavia, Università Campus Bio-medico di Roma, University of Pisa, Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare Catania, Joint Research Centre Ispra, Leibniz University of Hannover, University of Seville, University of Evry, University of Paris-EST, Institute of Solar Energy Research Hamelin, Technical University of Berlin, Institute of Computational Science of the University of Lugano, Renningen Research Centre of Robert Bosch GmbH.
- "In-situ strength effect in long fibre reinforced composites: A micro-mechanical analysis using the phase field approach to fracture", Keynote Lecture at the 25th International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (ICTAM), Milano, August 22-27, 2021.
- "Computational methods for fracture and contact at interfaces: cohesive zone model, phase field approach, micromechanics", Keynote Lecture at the International Conference on Computational Contact Mechanics, Lecce, July 5-7, 2017.
- "Multi-scale and multi-field modelling and testing of photovoltaic modules", Keynote Lecture at the Workshop on Multi-Scale and Multi-Physics Testing, Technical University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany, February 18-19, 2016.
- "A geometrical multiscale numerical method for coupled hygro-thermo-elastic problems in layered materials", Invited talk at the Workshop State of the art and challenges in thermal and mechanical modelling of ceramic materials, Trento, March 20, 2015.
- "Modelling and simulation of fracture in classical and hierarchical polycrystalline materials towards the design of super-resistant cutting tools", Invited lecture at the Special Interest Seminar on Simulation and Modelling in Hard Materials, Euro PM2014 Congress & Exhibition, Salzburg, Austria, 21-24 July 2014.
- "Flaw tolerance of continuum and discrete mechanical systems: the roles of heterogeneity and nonlocality", Opening lecture at the ECT* Workshop on New Frontiers in Multiscale Modelling of Advanced Materials, Trento, Italy, 17-20 June 2014.
- "Modelling of cracking in PV modules: Physical aspects and Computational Methods", Opening lecture of the Workshop "Measurements and Models for PV-Module analysis", Institute of Solar Energy Research, Hamelin, Germany, 5 November 2013.
- "Length scales in fracture mechanics of heterogeneous and hierarchical materials: the role of imperfect interfaces on the scaling of material properties", Lecture delivered at the Workshop of the Multiscale Methods for Interface Coupling (MUSIC) International Research Training Group in St. Anton, Austria, 12-16 December 2011.
- "Length scales in contact mechanics of rough surfaces: scaling of real contact area and thermal contact conductance", Lecture delivered at the Workshop of the Multiscale Methods for Interface Coupling (MUSIC) International Research Training Group in St. Anton, Austria, 12-16 December 2011.
- "A generalized dimensional analysis approach to fatigue crack growth", Keynote Lecture delivered at the 12th International Conference on Fracture, 12-17 July 2009, Ottawa, Canada.
Prof. Paggi is author of 3 textbooks on structural mechanics and thermoelasticity and of more than 200 publications in international refereed journals on computational methods for nonlinear partial differential equations, fracture mechanics, contact mechanics, material models for renewable energy applications, durability and ageing of polymers and adhesives, computational homogenization, numerical methods for coupled problems in engineering and applied mathematics. Applications include: tribology, reliability and durability of photovoltaics, composite materials, micro- and nano-mechanics, advanced materials and coatings, graphene, fibrous materials and tissues, reaction-diffusion systems.
For updated bibliometric data:
SCOPUS author ID: 35148174600