New deadline: July 29th 2022
Philosophy of Science, Formal Epistemology, Decision Theory, Logic, Social Epistemology, Cognitive Science.
The ideal candidate has a strong background in philosophy of science and/or formal epistemology, excellent research experience, and an interest in working in an interdisciplinary environment (including cognitive scientists, neuroscientists, and economists among others).
The recruited research fellow will conduct his/her research within a multidisciplinary project promoted by Scuola Normale Superiore Pisa, Scuola Universitaria Superiore IUSS Pavia, and Scuola IMT Alti Studi Lucca. The project intends to explore the scaffoldings of the epistemological framework which underlies public decision-making when confronted with complex scientific data. The methodological assumption underlying the project is that philosophical tools provided by logic, epistemology, philosophy of science and critical thinking can make a substantial contribution to a number of pressing issues concerning reasoning in social setting, belief revision and merging, expert choice, decision-making in uncertainty conditions, epistemology of trust, and understanding of complex data.
The research at the IMT School will focus on models of cognition and rational decision-making at the crossroads of philosophy of science, formal epistemology, and cognitive science. The recruited research fellow will join the team of the MInD research group and collaborate with the PRIN 2017 project "From models to decisions". Relevant research topics include: theories of rationality; Bayesian reasoning; probabilistic, uncertain, and causal reasoning; expert judgment and opinion; epistemic values, social values, and inductive risk; heuristics and biases, nudging and boosting; science communication and public understanding of science.
- Master's degree or equivalent in philosophy or related fields relevant to the subject of the call (for example psychology, cognitive sciences, economics, etc.);
- Good knowledge of English, both spoken and written.
- Preferably a PhD in a subject related to this call.
1) “Understanding public data: experts, decisions, epistemic values” CUP: D67G22000130001 - P0244 (35,6%)
2) PRIN 2017_Cevolani “From Models to decisions” - CUP: D68D19001710001 - P0158 (64,4%)
Apply ONLINE only.
Before filling in the application form, please read thoroughly the full call and collect all the files you may need:
- Personal info and contact info (compulsory);
- University degree (compulsory);
- PhD (compulsory only if stated in the full call).
- The scanned copy of a valid identity document (Passport or Identity Card - compulsory);
- Your CV in English (compulsory).