Living in Lucca
Lucca and its surroundings are rich in history and, at the same time, open to the future.
Throughout the years, this medieval Tuscan city has maintained the characteristics of the small capital it has been almost up to the unification of Italy. The streets and piazzas of the historic center, the churches and buildings, and its overall urban layout show how smooth and uninterrupted its development has been over the centuries, providing an ideal setting for a campus within which experiences can be shared and personal contact can be enhanced.
The Renaissance city walls and the natural amphitheater of the hills beyond unite in a perfect blend of nature and the work of man.
Beyond the hills, the beaches of Versilia and the mountains of Garfagnana are uniquely attractive thanks to the variety of their landscapes and their accessibility.
Lucca has good connections to other large towns, to cities and other university centers of the region, and it is close to both Pisa and Florence international airports.
Before traveling please check:
- that your passport/ID Card is valid throughout the whole period of your stay in Lucca. Please note that processing the renewal of a passport may take a long time and it is better to do it plenty of time in advance;
- if you need a VISA to enter Italy. If you have any doubts, check out the Services and Facilities section on our website. In general, you can also find information through your Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs www.esteri.it. Please take into account that obtaining a VISA in some countries may take up to 2 months;
- if there are any other entry requirements.
Here are some items that should be part of your carry-on luggage:
- passport and other important documents
- other supporting financial documents
- address of your destination
- medications you use regularly, extra prescription for eyeglasses or contact lenses
- Italian translation for important documents (i.e Driving License)
- credit card
- Driving License: depending on the country issuing your license, it can be valid or must be accompanied by a translation or an international license. Please check with the School for more information. Please note that in Italy your driving license cannot be used as a passport or an ID card.
- some Euro currency for immediate expenses (taxi or meal etc.).
IMT can host short-term guests in its Residence Halls or apartments. Eligibility for these accommodations depends on several factors; by contacting the School you can find out if you are eligible. Otherwise, you may receive support in finding a suitable accommodation at your own expenses for the period of your stay.
If you are among those who need to find a short-term accommodation - i.e. in case of candidates coming for a selection - you can find some useful links below:
The following list provides a general idea of the cost of living in Lucca and in Italy. It can help calculate the expenses you may encounter during your stay:
An average budget will include the following general expenses:
- 350 Euros/month for a single bedroom in Lucca center (+ 2 months deposit)
- 450-550 Euros/month (+ utilities for the accommodation: 100 Euros/month) for a small flat
- For meals in a cafeteria: about 7 Euros (for quick meals)
- For one meal in a medium-priced restaurant/pizzeria: 25 Euros (wine included)
- For buying food in a supermarket: 170 Euros/month
- For bus transport: 26 Euros/month; 113 Euros/6 months (Jan-Jun)
- For clothing: shoes 70 Euros/1 pair, jeans 80 Euros/1 pair, sweater 80 Euros
- To purchase a mobile phone: 100 Euros
- To use a mobile phone: on average 50 Euros/pm
- To purchase a PC: 800 Euros (not a laptop)
- For a drink in a bar: 3 Euros small beer, 0.80 Euros a cup of coffee (espresso), 1 Euro one croissant
- For a movie ticket: 7, 50 Euros
- For a museum ticket: 4 Euros
- For a theatre ticket: about 20 Euros
- For a gym: 40/80 Euros/month
- To rent a bicycle: 50 Euros/month
- To buy a second hand bicycle: 50 Euros
- For short trips by train (return): to Viareggio about 5 Euros, to Rome one person/one night 150 Euros, to Florence one person/one night 100 Euros.
Important: IMT does its best to provide the most accurate information possible. Should you obtain information from friends and/or colleagues, always check its validity with the Facilities Office.
In general the climate in Lucca is mild with a gentle fresh wind. There are some differences between the coast and the valleys where the summers are hotter than in the hilly areas and where the climate is very continental and rainfalls are more frequent. Usually the summers in Lucca are hot and dry.
Spring (April and May) and autumn (October and November) are quite rainy but there are still dry, sunny days.
The winter is usually sunny even if it's cold.
July is the hottest month with temperatures from 23°C up to 34°C.
In the coldest month - January – the temperature ranges from around 7°C on the coast and about 3,5°C to 5,5°C inside the province. Of course the temperature in the mountainous areas is lower.
In Lucca there are plenty of quality shops, in particular along the commercial street of Via Fillungo.
Timetable for the shops is Monday to Saturday, from 9.00 to 13.00 and from 15.00 to 19.30 during the winter.
During the summer the timetable is from Monday to Saturday from 9.00 to 13.00 and from 16.00 to 20.00.
Some shops remain open with no lunch break.
Shops are usually open on Sunday afternoon in December.
Useful Addresses and Numbers
Here below you can find some useful numbers:
Hospital - OSPEDALE SAN LUCA
Via Guglielmo Lippi Francesconi
Centralino tel. 0583 970 111 - 0583 9701
To call an ambulance:
Emergency Call - PRONTO SOCCORSO 118
If you need a doctor:
Reference Doctor - GUARDIA MEDICA
tel. 0584 616779
from Monday to Saturday from 20.00 pm to 8.00 am
Saturday and Sunday 24h
COUNCIL PHARMACY 24h
tel. 0583 491398
For security emergency:
POLIZIA DI STATO 113
Viale Cavour, 120
tel. 0583 4551
Fire Department - VIGILI DEL FUOCO 115
Post Office (near the School)
Via Vallisneri, 2
Offices are open from Monday to Saturday, from 8.15 to 19.00
Lucca Train Station
Piazzale Ricasoli, 127
FS info 848 - 888088
Piazza Santa Maria - tel. 0583 494190
Piazzale Verdi - tel. 0583 581305
Piazza Napoleone - tel. 0583 316041
Via Barbantini, 617 - tel. 0583 950623
Piazzale Ricasoli (Stazione) - tel. 0583 494989
tel. 0583 955200/ 955241/ 955268
City Bus Service CLAP
Ticket and information office
Piazzale Verdi - tel. 0583 587897
Regional Bus Service LAZZI
Ticket office Information and timetable available on the website
Piazzale Verdi - tel. 0583 584876
Links on Lucca
Music & Festivals