The IMT School’s Placement services are aimed towards quickly finding employment in academia, institutions, firms and entrepreneurial sectors that valorize the PhD degrees earned by the School’s students.
There are multiple tools that are used by the School to support job placement activities in a variety of contexts.
Individual orientation activies have the objective of supporting IMT School students and alumni with respect to:
- identifying and guiding personal job placement strategies for academia and/or the labor pool
- managing research and work activities competently and autonomously
- gaining concrete knowledge of the local, national and international job markets
The principle tool for individual orientation are counseling sessions.
Those interested initial interviews aimed at identifying expectations and availabilities for employment, work and education related experiences for professional career development, competences, propensities and inclinations towards finding an employment opportunity may contact email@example.com. Second-level individual orientation interviews (carried out with an occupational psychologist) were carried out within the framework of the E-Cubed project.
The School has been a partner of the Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna for the JobFair for Schools of Excellence in Italy since 2014. The JobFair is a unique opportunity to connect the world of important Italian companies with the world of education and research at top levels. The fair provides companies with the opportunity to present themselves and for these companies to set up one-to-one meetings with students from the participating Schools. The sixth edition of the JobFair is scheduled in Pisa on October 23-24, 2019.
The IMT School has participated, since the 2017/18 Academic Year, in national Placement initiatives with the “Borsa del Placement” (meetings between companies and university representatives) and forDoc, the first national event – organized by Emblema – that is specific for PhD students and graduates, for job interview meetings with employers specifically interested in candidates with doctoral degrees.
The 2019 forDoc meeting - preceded by preparatory webinars - was held at the Palazzo della Gran Guardia in Verona from October 1-3 2019.
Companies interested in:
- advertising a job opportunity
- getting into contact with IMT School students or alumni
- presenting their company
may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Seminars held by speakers from the industrial sector
The Student and Alumni Association carries out an important role with respect to the career mentoring activities, in synergy with the Placement services of the School. On June 7th and 8th 2019, the School held its first Annual Meeting of the Association, providing a space for idea exchange, networking and mentoring through the collaboration with the members of the Association. During these two days, students and alumni had the opportunity to meet other members of the IMT School community, present their research projects and professional experiences and explore new collaboration opportunities, cementing the objective of developing a network that actively supports placement services, reinforcing synergies and shared values.
The second half of 2018 saw the birth of the “E-Cubed: Explore, Engage, Empower” project, which was carried out jointly with the Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, and financed by the “POR -Regional Operative Project” of the “EFS - European Social Fund”. This project was created to provide counseling and support in the post-doctoral phase and assist with placement into the work force.The objective of the project was to provide the tools for graduates to make conscious choices, reducing the amount of time between graduation and employment, promoting the acquisition of knowledge and competences sought after by employers and facilitating their entrance into the job market.
Within the framework of the E-Cubed project, the School has undertaken a series of activities, open to all of the students and alumni of both IMT and Sant’Anna, such as:
- job orientation interviews with an occupational psychologist (who also holds a PhD herself);
- career mentoring meetings with alumni from three of the four thematic tracks of the School, who presented their work experiences in Italy and abroad;
- career mentoring meetings with experts from European institutions and the cultural heritage sector;
- a course to introduce participants to the job markets of the research areas of the School and courses on academic and scientific writing.
The School advertised the initiatives from the project carried out by the Scuola Sant’Anna.
Interested companies may contact email@example.com.
Students interested in receiving job opportunities may also contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Erasmus+ for Traineeships
- Internship opportunities: internship opportunities to students and alumni are usually advertised via email. Companies interested in advertising their internship opportunities may contact email@example.com, +39 05834326562. Students interested in internships may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the aim of sharing the objectives and inspiring active participation, in addition to monitoring Placement services, a survey was carried out at the end of July 2019 with IMT School students, alumni and faculty. The results of this survey offer interested insights with respect to future development.