In January of 2019, the School signed an agreement with the Usl Toscana Nord Ovest (the local health unit) to activate psychological support services for both students and staff of the IMT School. The psychologists, selected by the local health unit (U.O.C. Psicologia e Sanità Territoriale, Azienda Usl Toscana Nord Ovest), can be reached through a dedicated email address (firstname.lastname@example.org). The agreement will provide welcome interviews and brief psychological consultations that can be carried out individually or as a group, for those who request the services. The psychological support services are also available in English.
The Coordinator of the Psychologists is Dr. Patrizia Fistesmaire (curriculum).
The IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca has activated some special deals for various kinds of services in favour of its users. To benefit from these special rates the IMT user or family member must simply show their institutional badge or another form of identification in which it is evident that the person is affiliated with the School. For information and suggestions, please contact the Campus Management and Front Office (email@example.com). Please check the Special Deals section for more details.
If you are an EU citizen, as of April 11, 2007, you are allowed to move without restrictions int Italy without applying for a stay permit. During the first 3 months of your stay, you have no requirements to meet if you have a valid identity document. After 90 days of uninterrupted stay in Italy, you have to register with the Municipal Offices of the city where you have your housing (Comune di Lucca - "Ufficio Anagrafe"). This will automatically imply the change of your residence from your home country to Italy and the necessary fiscal consequences. If you already have a valid stay permit, you can wait until it expires before registering yourself at the Municipality.
If you are an EU citizen in possession of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) obtained in your home country from the health authority (the so-called TEAM card in Italy) you are automatically covered in all EU member countries. If you do not have an EHIC, before you leave for Italy, you must go to the competent health authority in your country in order to ask for your health insurance to be extended to Italy. Alternatively, you will have to draw up a private health insurance covering all risks (maternity included). It is not possible to enroll with the Italian Health Service (see art. 7 of Decree n. 30 of February 7, 2007). Please note that health insurance is compulsory for all European students in Italy. Please note also that the EHIC card is not valid for registration with the Municipality of Lucca: therefore, it would be convenient to apply for the so-called E106, E120, E121, E33, E109, E37 forms in your country before your departure.
- Go to the "Agenzia delle Entrate" to receive your "codice fiscale"
- Go to the local INPS office in Lucca (Piazza Martiri delle Libertà, 65), along with your "codice fiscale" and ID card, and fill out the attached form entitled "Richiesta per Assegnazione PIN al cittadino" (PIN request form)
- After having received your PIN, follow either one of the procedures described below:
Online registration: Go to the INPS website. Go to the online services section, go to the section entitled "Lavoratori parasubordinati iscrizione" and start the procedure, which will also require your "codice fiscale", at this link.
Telephone registration: Call the toll free number 803.164 to speak to an INPS operator Give the operator your PIN number along with the following information:
- EMPLOYER: Scuola IMT Alti Studi Lucca, Piazza San Ponziano 6 - 55100 Lucca
- FISCAL CODE AND VAT NUMBER
- REGISTRATION with the "gestione separata" as: "Dottorando di ricerca/Collaboratore cc" (Doctoral student/collaborator cc")
- START DATE OF COURSE.
- "Permesso di soggiorno" for job seeking - When the "Permesso di Soggiorno" for study reasons expires, foreigners who have obtained a Ph.D. in Italy can sign up on the "lista di collocamento" (employment lists) at the nearest "Centro per l'impiego" (employment office) and meanwhile fill out an application (obtained from the Post Office) for a new P.S. while waiting to find employment. This will allow you to stay in Italy for an additional 12 months. However, if after the 12 months you have been unable to find work, you must return to your country of permanent residence. NOTE: This type of P.S. cannot be renewed.
- Conversion of valid "Permesso di soggiorno" for study into a "permesso di soggiorno" for employment - If you have already found employment, you may apply by submitting your application to the "Sportello Unico per l'immigrazione" at the Prefecture in your city of residence through the Interior Ministry's online procedure. You must fill out the V2 form (for employment) or the Z2 form (for self-employment).
- Once the form has been submitted, you will receive a letter from the "Sportello Unico" requesting the necessary additional documents to complete the procedure. These documents must be sent within 10 days or the procedure will be closed. Once the documents have been received, verified and deemed complete, the "Sportello Unico" will request the applicant to finalize the procedure, and at which time the documentation needed to apply for a P.S. for employment will be given. After this, the applicant can apply for a P.S. by filling out a pack at the Post Office.
Italian Bank Account
- How can you open a bank account? Bank accounts can be opened in Italy by both residents and non-residents above 18 years of age. Foreigners working in Italy may open an account in order to receive their salary and have a credit or debit card. What documents do you need to open a bank account? In order to open a bank account, you will be asked to provide one or more of the following papers: Passport, Tax identification number (Codice Fiscale), Recent utility bill (as proof of address), Residence card or proof of employment in Italy (work contract or payroll). In order to be sure about what papers to submit, we suggest you check with the bank of your choice.
- How much does a bank account cost in Italy? Unfortunately, having a bank account in Italy costs a bit more than in other countries in Europe. Please, remember also that the fees depend on the type of account you have opened. For further information, please ask the IMT Campus Management and Front Office, as there might be some special conditions that we can point out to you.
Tax Incentives for foreign research and teaching staff
- International agreements against the double taxation: For those (included Research Fellow positions) who:
- Reside in one of the countries that have stipulated an agreement with Italy in order to avoid the double taxation (please check the List of Conventions on the website of the Ministry of Economics and Finance;
- Carry out teaching or research activity in Italy for a period generally not exceeding 2 years. The due compensation will be taxed exclusively in the country of residence of the appointee.
- Tax reduction eligibility ex art. 44 L. n. 122/2010 (Incentivi per il rientro in Italia di ricercatori residenti all'estero)
Are eligible for tax reduction those researchers who:
- Have a University Degree;
- Have resided permanently and not occasionally abroad;
- Have carried out documented research activity abroad within universities or research centres, both public and private, as well as within companies or institutions with dedicated research departments, for at least 2 uninterrupted years;
- Decide to carry out their professional activity in Italy and, consequently, re-enter Italy and become subject of the Italian tax law;
- Earn incomes from dependant or autonomous work, or other incomes considered as dependant work, such as incomes from coordinated and continuous collaboration for the carrying out of research activity;
- Carry out research activity in Italy for a period of time no less than 183 days in the fiscal year taken into consideration (e.g. contract starting in September 2010: tax deduction applied in the fiscal years 2011, 2012 and 2013, the first four months of the contract will be subject to normal taxation).
Important: Through such tax concession measure, only 10% of total income will be taxed for up to four fiscal years and total income will not concur for the constitution of the regional tax on production activities. In order to benefit from this tax reduction, at his/her arrival, the researcher will have to take up his/her fiscal residence in Italy at Comune di Lucca - "Ufficio Anagrafe". This tax reduction will end within seven years from the coming into force of art. 44 L. n. 44/2010 (by May 31st, 2017).