Matteo Tondini (Laurea - Macerata; MA - CASD, Rome; PhD - IMT, Lucca) is a researcher and a legal advisor. He currently serves as a legal advisor to the Italian Navy General Staff, Office of Legal Affairs (International Law Section), specializing in international law issues.
Matteo is also one of the Editors and former Editor-in-Chief of the Military Law and the Law of War Review.
In July 2002 Matteo obtained a Laurea in Law from Macerata University - Faculty of Law, with a thesis in international law, followed by a postgraduate masters degree in International, Military and Strategic Studies at the Centre for Advanced Defence Studies (CASD) in 2003, and a diploma as legal advisor at the Joint Services Staff College (ISSMI) in Rome. In 2004 he also attended a course on law of armed conflict at the IIHL in Sanremo, followed by a traineeship at the International Society for Military Law and the Law of War (Brussels) in 2005. In 2006 Matteo completed a research period at the Department of Peace Studies - University of Bradford (UK). In December 2008 he got a Ph.D. in 'Political Systems and Institutional Change' at IMT - Lucca Institute for Advanced Studies (Italy), with a thesis on justice system reform in Afghanistan. Since June 2011, he is a cultore della materia (teaching assistant/expert) in international humanitarian law at the University of Rome 3, Faculty of Law.
In 2003 Matteo attended an internship at the Italian Diplomatic Office in Pristina (Kosovo). In 2004/2005 he served as a naval officer (Corps of Naval Commissariat) in the Legal Services Office of the Command in Chief of the Italian Fleet, based in Rome, joining the Naval Reserve in February 2008. In June and July 2007 he worked as a consultant to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA - Afghanistan Unit) for the organization of the Rome Conference on the Rule of Law in Afghanistan, held on 2-3 July 2007. From December 2007 to May 2008, and in March-April 2012, Matteo served as an expert on mission, again for the MFA, working as a policy advisor to the Embassy of Italy in Kabul (Afghanistan) - Office for Development Cooperation (Afghanistan Justice Program). From September 2009 to October 2010 he also worked as a researcher at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam within the EU-funded - 'INEX' Research Project. From November 2010 to December 2011 Matteo served as a (military) legal advisor to the Italian Navy General Staff - Office of Legal Affairs. Recently, Matteo collaborated, inter alia, with the Italian Red Cross and the Istituto Affari Internazionali (Rome).
Matteo is the author of a monograph and several articles concerning a number of topics in different disciplines. His research interests encompass - but are not limited to - military/international/maritime law, post-conflict state-building, international terrorism, use of force, and human rights/international humanitarian law.
His memberships include: International Institute of Humanitarian Law (IIHL); Italian Society of International Law (SIDI); Société Internationale de Droit Militaire et de Droit de la Guerre (AISBL); Retired Military Officers Association (UNUCI); Italian Doctoral Students & Researchers Association (ADI).
* * * * *
(available on request)
- Statebuilding and Justice Reform: Post-Conflict Reconstruction in Afghanistan, Abingdon: Routledge, Cass Series on Peacekeeping, 2010. Pp. xx, 172. ISBN: 978-0-415-55894-5.
[ VIEW INSIDE ! ]
[Click - HERE - for the front cover]
Reviewed in the: International and Comparative Law Quarterly
Military Law and the Law of War Review (HeinOnLine Subscribers only)
Journal Articles and Chapters in Edited Collections
28. Some Legal and Non-Legal Reflections on the Use of Armed Protection Teams on Board Merchant Vessels: An Introduction to the Topic, in Military Law and the Law of War Review, Vol. 51, No. 1-2, 2012 (forthcoming in 2013).
26. Stato di diritto e lotta alla pirateria nelle acque somale, in Diritto Penale e Processo, Vol. 19, No. 2, 2013, 230 - 245.
25. Impiego di NMP e guardie giurate in funzione antipirateria: Poteri di arresto e uso della forza, in Rivista Marittima, Vol. 146, No. 1, 2013, 32 - 42.
24. The Legality of Intercepting Boat People Under Search and Rescue and Border Control Operations, with reference to Recent Italian Interventions in the Mediterranean Sea and the ECtHR Decision in the Hirsi Case, in Journal of International Maritime Law, Vol. 18, No. 1, 2012, 59 - 74.
23. From Neo-Colonialism to a 'Light-Footprint Approach': Restoring Justice Systems, in R. Murphy (ed.), Post-Conflict Rebuilding and International Law, London: Ashgate, 2012, 243 - 258 (reprinted from International Peacekeeping, Vol. 15, 2008, 237 - 251).
22. Case Note: Corte di Cassazione (Sez. I Penale), 3 October 2008, No. 37606 (Criminal Proceedings against Heinrich Nordhorn), in Italian Yearbook of International Law, Vol. 19 (2009), 2010, 440 - 445.
21. The "Italian Job": How to Make International Organisations Compliant with Human Rights and Accountable for Their Violation by Targeting Member States, in J. Wouters, E. Brems, S. Smis and P. Schmitt (eds.), Accountability for Human Rights Violations by International Organisations, Antwerp/Oxford: Intersentia, 2010, 169 - 212 (Table of contents).
20. Sulla nuova disciplina giuridica delle missioni militari italiane all'estero, in Quaderni costituzionali, Vol. 30, No. 2, 2010, 401 - 404 (Preprint available here).
19. Justice Sector Reform in Afghanistan: From a "Lead Nation" Approach to a "Mixed Ownership" Regime?, in Transition Studies Review, Vol. 15, No. 4, 2009, 660 - 673.
17. Beyond the Law of the Enemy: Recovering from the Failures of the Global War on Terrorism through (Criminal) Law, in Processi Storici e Politiche di Pace / Historical Processes and Peace Politics, Vol. 3, No. 5, 2008, 59 - 81.
16. Putting an End to Human Rights Violations by Proxy: Accountability of International Organisations and Member States in the Framework of Jus Post Bellum, in C. Stahn and J. Kleffner (eds.), Jus Post Bellum: Towards a Law of Transition From Conflict to Peace, The Hague/Cambridge: TMC Asser Press/Cambridge University Press, 2008, 187 - 212.
15. From Neo-Colonialism to a 'Light-Footprint Approach': Restoring Justice Systems, in International Peacekeeping, Vol. 15, No. 2, 2008, 237 - 251.
14. La politica del diritto nell'era del terrore: profili di legislazione e giurisprudenza comparata, in Il Politico, Vol. 72, No. 3, 2007, 125 - 153 (Issue reviewed in Corriere della Sera, 15 August 2008).
13. La lotta ai traffici illegali di WMD nelle recenti convenzioni internazionali, in N. Ronzitti (ed.), La lotta contro la proliferazione delle armi di distruzione di massa e la Proliferation Security Initiative. L'azione per via aerea, marittima e terrestre per contrastare la minaccia delle armi atomiche, batteriologiche e chimiche: Profili istituzionali e giuridici, Roma: CeMiSS (Blu Series, No. 135), 2007, 189 - 240 (Preprint available here).
12. L'esercizio della giurisdizione sul personale militare all'estero nella prassi degli status of forces agreements, in Rassegna dell'Arma dei Carabinieri, Vol. 55, No. 3, 2007, 19 - 58.
11. Rebuilding the System of Justice in Afghanistan: A Preliminary Assessment, in Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2007, 333 - 354.
10. Il diritto del nemico. Se la guerra diventa ideologia, in Diritto pubblico comparato ed europeo, No. 1, 2007, 244 - 270.
9. The Role of Italy in Rebuilding the Judicial System in Afghanistan, in Revue de droit militaire et de droit de la guerre, Vol. 45, No. 1 - 2, 2006, 79 - 118 (available HERE on HeinOnLine - subscribers only).
8. I diritti umani nei conflitti armati e nelle operazioni di pace: l'equilibrio del diritto tra uso della forza e dovere di protezione, in Diritto pubblico comparato ed europeo, No. 3, 2006, 1179 - 1213 (Preprint available here).
7. Hamdan v. Rumsfeld. Se il diritto si svuota di contenuti, in Diritto di critica, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2006, 38 - 49.
6. Exporting the rule of law: Human rights abroad during conflicts and peace operations, in Pace Diritti Umani, Vol. 3, No. 1, 2006, 83 - 109.
5. UN Peace Operations: The Last Frontier of the Extraterritorial Application of Human Rights, in Studia Diplomatica, Vol. 58, No. 4, 2005, 75 - 138.
4. UN Peace Operations: The Last Frontier of the Extraterritorial Application of Human Rights, in Revue de droit militaire et de droit de la guerre, Vol. 44, No. 1 - 2, 2005, 175 - 242 (available HERE on HeinOnLine - subscribers only).
3. Regole d'ingaggio e diritto all'autodifesa. Riflessioni e suggerimenti, in Rassegna dell'Arma dei Carabinieri, Vol. 53, No. 1, 2005, 7 - 54.
2. Regole d'ingaggio e uso della forza in mare, in Rivista Marittima, Vol. 138, No. 3, 2005, 57 - 68.
1. L'Introduzione del sistema democratico a Timor Est. Una via verso la riconciliazione?, in Informazioni della Difesa, No. 2, 2003, 5 - 13.
Antonio Giustozzi, The Art of Coercion: The Primitive Accumulation and Management of Coercive Power, London: Hurst, 2011, viii + 298 pp., ISBN 978-1-84904-081-5 (Hardback), in Contemporary Security Policy, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2012, 599 - 601.
Emanuela Paoletti, The Migration of Power and North-South Inequalities: The Case of Italy and Libya, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011, xiii + 300 pp., ISBN 978-0-230-24926-4 (Hardback), in Journal of North African Studies, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2011, 308 - 310.
Emily Crawford, The Treatment of Combatants and Insurgents under the Law of Armed Conflict, New York: Oxford University Press, 2010, xxiv + 213 pp., ISBN 978-0-19-957896-2 (Hardback), in Military Law and the Law of War Review, Vol. 49, No. 1-2, 2010, 230 - 234.
On-Line Papers & Reports
- Ethical Security in Europe? Empirical Findings on Value Shifts and Dilemmas across European Internal-External Security Policies (with I. Ioannides), INEX Policy Recommendation Report, Amsterdam and Oslo, September 2010 (submitted to the European Commission as Deliverable 3.5 in the context of the FP-7 INEX Project).
- Fishers of Men? The Interception of Migrants in the Mediterranean Sea and Their Forced Return to Libya, INEX Paper, Amsterdam and Oslo, October 2010.
- La riforma del sistema giudiziario in Afghanistan, paper presented at the Seminar: Afghanistan: Quale Strategia per la Stabilizzazione e lo Sviluppo? Riflessioni sul Ruolo dell'Italia, held in Rome on 3 February 2009 (see below).
- L'impegno internazionale nel quadro delle attività di riforma del sistema giudiziario afgano, Rome: IAI - Istituto Affari Internazionali, No. IaiR 0904, January 2009 (Information Report No. 7 of 13 January 2009, submitted by IAI to the House of Representatives and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
- La sentenza Calipari: Volenti non fit iniuria? (with F. Bertolin), in Forum di Quaderni Costituzionali, 3 April 2008.
- Beyond the Law of the Enemy: Recovering from the Failures of the Global War on Terrorism through Law, in Jura Gentium - Journal of Philosophy of International Law and Global Politics, October 2007 (Paper presented at the Cortona Colloquium 2007).
- From Neo - Colonialism to a ‘Light Footprint Approach': Restoring the Justice System in Post - Conflict Operations, paper presented at the 6th Pan - European Conference on International Relations, 15 September 2007 (see below).
- Tavole di legislazione e giurisprudenza comparata sul fenomeno del terrorismo internazionale (with J.P. Pierini), in Forum di Quaderni costituzionali, July 2007.
- Il diritto del nemico. Nuove regole per i conflitti del nuovo secolo?, paper presented at the 25th Congress of the Italian Society of Political Science, 13 September 2006.
- Misure di sicurezza antiterrorismo. Leggi speciali e prevenzione del terrore nel Regno Unito, Centro Italiano Studi per la Pace, Trento, July 2005.
- Darfur: il genocidio mancato. L'occasione di molti e le responsabilità di pochi, in Politicaestera.org, No. 11, July - August 2005.
- Hamdan v. Rumsfeld. Se il diritto si svuota dei suoi contenuti, in Forum di Quaderni costituzionali, July 2005.
- Kosovo oggi. Scontro etnico ed equilibri di potere, in Politicaestera.org, No. 8, April 2005.
- The privatization system in Kosovo. Rising towards an uncertain future, Italian Liaison Office, Pristina, Kosovo, December 2003 (See 'Osservatorio Balcani').
- L'Amministrazione Civile delle Nazioni Unite in Kosovo: profili di diritto internazionale, Università degli Studi di Macerata - Centro Italiano Studi per la Pace, Macerata - Trento, July 2002.
OTHER RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
- La politica è traballante sulla giustizia militare, in Italia Oggi (daily newspaper), Letter to the Editor, 18 August 2009, p. 3.
- From the Millennium Development Goals to the National Justice Programme, Embassy of Italy in Kabul - Development Cooperation Office, Working Paper No. 1, 24 April 2008 (unpublished).
- G. Morbidelli, L. Pegoraro, A. Reposo, M. Volpi, Diritto pubblico comparato, Torino: Giappichelli, 2nd ed., 2007 (revised chapter 2 for the 2007 edition).
- Shared Responsibility in Coalitions of the Willing, Seminar: ‘Practice of Shared Responsibility in International Military Operations', Swedish National Defence College, Stockholm, 12 April 2013.
- The Interception of Migrants by Sea: Good, Bad, or just Ugly?, 8th International Migration Law Course, International Institute of Humanitarian Law, Sanremo (Italy), 27 September 2012.
- Il terrorismo internazionale: Reato o conflitto armato?, Italian Red Cross, 32nd National Training Course for International Humanitarian Law Instructors, Jesolo Lido (Italy), 13 July 2012.
- Elementi di diritto del mare e lotta alla pirateria, Undergraduate Course of International Law, Faculty of Political Science, LUMSA University, Rome, 30 November 2011.
- Evoluzione delle normative nazionali in risposta al terrorismo, Italian Red Cross, 31st National Training Course for International Humanitarian Law Instructors, Jesolo Lido (Italy), 11 July 2011.
- Attività di polizia marittima e diritto dei conflitti armati sul mare, 10th Specialisation Course in Naval Tactics, Navy General Staff, Rome, 12 April 2011.
- Naval Warfare: Legal Issues and Developments, University of Rome 3 - Faculty of Law, International Humanitarian Law Course (classes in English), 24 March 2011.
- Naval Constabulary Operations: Lessons from the Interception of Migrants on the High Seas and the Use of Force in Maritime Security Operations, Anti-Piracy Workshop, NATO School, Oberammergau, Germany, 23 February 2011.
- Contrasto dell'immigrazione clandestina e pirateria: Poteri, obblighi e criticità, Navy General Staff, Rome, 11th Training Course for Lieutenants, 23 November 2010.
- Evoluzione delle normative nazionali in risposta al terrorismo, Italian Red Cross, 30th National Training Course for International Humanitarian Law Instructors, Jesolo Lido (Italy), 13 July 2010.
- Forced Return of Migrants by Italian Vessels in the Mediterranean Sea, Seminar on Migration Law and Human Rights, Bergen aan Zee, The Netherlands, 21-22 January 2010.
- Private Military Companies, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Faculty of Law, Masters Course in International Humanitarian Law, 3 December 2009.
- Evoluzione delle normative nazionali in risposta al terrorismo, Italian Red Cross, 29th National Training Course for International Humanitarian Law Instructors, Jesolo Lido (Italy), 21 July 2009.
- La giurisdizione dello Stato di bandiera nelle PSOs, Centre for Defence Advanced Studies (CASD), Rome, 8 July 2009.
- Post Conflict Peace-Building & Justice Reform in Afghanistan, University of Rome 3 - Faculty of Law, International Humanitarian Law Course (classes in English), 30 April 2009.
- The War on Terror and New Problems for IHL, University of Rome 3 - Faculty of Law, International Humanitarian Law Course (classes in English), 29 April 2009.
- Afghanistan: Quale strategia per la stabilizzazione e lo sviluppo?-Riflessioni sul ruolo dell'Italia, ARGO - Analisi e Ricerche Geopolitiche sull'Oriente, Rome, House of Representatives, Vicolo Valdina, 3 February 2009.
- Terrorismo internazionale e condizioni di emergenza, University of Macerata (Italy), Faculty of Law, PhD Program in Theory of Law and Politics, 27 January 2009.
- Guerra e terrorismo: Un binomio scindibile, Carabinieri - Marche Regional Command, Ancona (Italy), 22 October 2008.
- Evoluzione delle normative nazionali in risposta al terrorismo, Italian Red Cross, 27th and 28th National Training Course for International Humanitarian Law Instructors, Marina di Massa (Italy), 29 June and 10 July 2008.
- La ricostruzione della giustizia in Afghanistan: Temi, problematiche e prospettive future, Joint Staff College, Rome, 10 June 2008.
- Post Conflict Peace-Building: The Reconstruction of Justice in Afghanistan, University of Rome 3 - Faculty of Law, International Humanitarian Law Course (classes in English), 9 May 2008.
- The War on Terror and New Problems for IHL, University of Rome 3 - Faculty of Law, International Humanitarian Law Course (classes in English), 8 May 2008.
- Sicurezza e diritti dopo l'11 settembre, University of Florence - Faculty of Political Sciences, International Relations Course, 24 and 26 April 2007.
- Justice for Someone: Strengthening a Functional Sense of Justice in Peace Operations, University of Bradford, Department of Peace Studies, United Kingdom, 14 December 2006.
- La giurisdizione concorrente prevista dagli Status of Forces Agreements (SOFAs), con particolare riferimento alle operazioni in ambito NATO, Naval Academy, Livorno, Italy, 7 June 2006.
- Reati di pirateria: Arresto e adempimenti successivi, Conference: 'I nuclei di vigilanza armata nell'attività di contrasto alla pirateria: profili internazionali e penalistici', Consiglio della Magistratura Militare, Rome, 23 November 2012.
- Presentation of The Military Law and the Law of War Review 2011 and Award of the Ciardi Prize 2012, ISMLLW 19th Congress: ‘Legal Interoperability and Ensuring Observance of the Law Applicable in Multinational Deployments', Québec City, Canada, 4 May 2012.
- Vessel Protection Detachments, Round Table: 'Nuovi scenari in materia di contrasto alla pirateria marittima', Confederation of Italian Ship-owners, Rome, 2 December 2011.
- Say it Right: The Interception and Rescue of Migrants at Sea, Seminar: ‘Conflict Situations and Migration Flows in the Mediterranean Area', International Institute of Humanitarian Law, Sanremo (Italy), 5 November 2011.
- Stabilizzazione e ‘Pace liberale' in Afghanistan: Dalla crisi al business dello sviluppo, Conference: ‘Stabilizzazione e riconciliazione nelle società dilacerate, dai Balcani all'Afghanistan. Il ruolo del movimento internazionale della Croce Rossa', Italian Red Cross, Forlì (Italy), 19 October 2011.
- The Role and Responsibilities of Legal Advisors in the Armed Forces: Evolution and Present Trends (The Military Law and the Law of War Review's 50th Anniversary), ISMLLW Conference on Military Jurisdiction, Rhodes (GR), 30 September 2011.
- Value Dilemmas of Security Professionalism, Conference: Ethics at the Border: The European Internal/External Security Continuum, Oslo, 28-29 March 2011 (Video of the presentation available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEOxC7lABw4&feature=view_all&list=PLA4603DE4D5496DD4&index=3 - See from 21':00" onwards).
- State-building between Dreams and Reality: Preaching and Practicing Post-Conflict Reconstruction in Afghanistan, Workshop: "Responsibility 2 Rebuild: Linking Infrastructure, Governance & Democratisation", University of Surrey (UK), Institute of Advanced Studies, 18-19 June 2010.
- Ethics in EU Member States' Security Policies, INEX Conference: "Ethical Dilemmas in the Shifting Security Landscape", VU University Amsterdam, 15-16 April 2010.
- Shifting Ethical Dilemmas in National Security Practices, INEX Project Mid-Term Conference: "Exploring the Internal/External Security Continuum", Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), Brussels, 29 October 2009.
- Terrorismo e DIU, Round Table: "Riflessioni sul terrorismo internazionale", Centre for Defence Advanced Studies (CASD), Rome, 8 July 2009.
- Tipologie di PSOs e Regole di ingaggio, Conference: "Evoluzione delle PSOs", Italian Red Cross, Abruzzo Regional Committee, Pescara (Italy), 21 February 2009.
- Il diritto internazionale umanitario alla prova del "terrorismo internazionale", Italian Red Cross, International Humanitarian Law Instructors' 8th National Congress, Senigallia (Italy), 4 October 2008 (Summary in Italian available here).
- Consolidating Peace: The Role of Justice and Truth Commissions, "Building Sustainable Futures", International Peace Research Association (IPRA) 22nd Global Conference, University of Leuven (Belgium), 19 July 2008.
- Problematiche applicative delle ROE, Round Table: "Aspetti giuridici del post conflict", Centre for Defence Advanced Studies (CASD), Rome, 4 July 2008.
- Le trasformazioni del sistema internazionale dopo la fine della guerra fredda, 2008 Congress of the Italian Standing Group on International Relations, Bertinoro (Italy), 27 June 2008.
- War, Law and Global Order, Cortona Colloquium 2007, Fondazione Giangiacomo Feltrinelli, Cortona (Italy), 20 October 2007.
- Absent Sovereigns? Politics, Security and Democracy, "Making Sense of a Pluralist World", Sixth Pan - European Conference on International Relations, University of Turin, 12 - 15 September 2007.
- Problematiche applicative delle ROE, Round Table: "Aspetti giuridici del post conflict", Centro Alti Studi per la Difesa (CASD), Rome, 10 July 2007.
- Accountability for Human Rights Violations by International Organizations, Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Sciences and Arts, Brussels, 16 - 17 March 2007.
- Stato di guerra e stato della guerra nel XXI secolo, 25th Congress of the Italian Society of Political Sciences, Bologna, 13 September 2006.
- The Rule of Law in Peace Operations, 17th Congress of the International Society for Military Law and the Law of War, Scheveningen, The Hague, 18 May 2006.
|IMT is not responsible for the contents of this page, which are under the exclusive control of Matteo Tondini.|