Fabio Pammolli (January 11, 1965)
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
Fabio served (2004-2012) as Director and President of the Executive Council of IMT Institute for Advanced Studies (www.imtlucca.it).
As the Founding Director of the Institute, he presided over its establishment as an international research university. Unique within the Italian system, IMT represents a remarkable innovation in terms of organization of research, and selection and hiring procedures for faculty and students:
He’s now Professor of Economics and Management at IMT, where he has coordinated the Ph.D in Economics and he serves as the Director of the research unit Axes (Analysis of compleX Economic Systems).
He’s currently visiting research scholar at Harvard University, Dept. of Economics, and at LIDS, the Laboratory of Information and Decision Systems, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Fabio graduated in economics from the University of Pisa and he did his doctoral studies in economics and management at the Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies. From 1991 to 2001 he was at the University of Siena, while from 2001 to 2004 he was a professor of economics and management at the University of Florence. He has visited several institutions including Northeastern University, MIT, the LSE (Sticerd), Sciences Po (OFCE), Stanford University (Scancor). Since 2005, he is a Research Associate at Boston University, Dept. of Physics (http://polymer.bu.edu/staff.html), Center for Polymer Studies, where he collaborates with Gene H. Stanley (http://polymer.bu.edu/hes/) on the analysis of processes of growth at different levels of aggregation.
Fabio combines different methodologies to cover a variety of topics in economics of science and innovation, industrial economics, the economics of health and pensions, and network analysis of large socio-economic systems. He is a leading expert in the economic analysis of biotechnology and pharmaceuticals. He is currently writing a book on growth and instability in economic systems.
He has published in journals such as: Science, Nature Reviews, The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (cover article, Dec. 27, 2005, vol. 102, n. 52), The Journal of the European Economics Association, The International Journal of Industrial Organization, Management Science, European Management Review, Physical Review E, Physica-A, Revue d'Economie Industrielle, Research Policy, Small Business Economics, Health Affairs, R&D Management, E. Journal of Health Economics, Europhysics Letters, Economics Letters.
Fabio is the President of the CERM Foundation (www.thecermfoundation.com), an independent research institute specialized in analyzing the sustainability of public finances and the economics of health and welfare systems.
He is the Coordinator of The SWITCH Project (http://www.theswitchproject.eu). SWITCH specifically aims at setting up a set of observatories, big data repositories, and analytical platforms on the economics and policy of life sciences, pharmaceuticals, and health systems in Europe.
He served as a member of the Commission on Intellectual Property Rights, Innovation and Public Health (CIPIH), World Health Organization, coauthoring the report on Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual Property Rights (2006).
He is a columnist for the Corriere della Sera (2010-onwards), while in the past his editorials were published on Il Sole 24 Ore (2008-9).
Fabio served as member of several Government expert committees in Italy: the Committee on Pricing and Reimbursement for Pharmaceutical Products (1998-2006); the Scientific Committee, National Institutes of Health (2001 -2006); the Pension Expenditure Assessment Board, Ministry of Labor and Social Policies and Ministry of Economy and Finance (2011 – 2012); the Expert Committee for the Assessment of Labor Market Reforms (2012-onwards).
He has authored several reports for the European Commission, on the structure and competitiveness of European high-tech industries, such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and medical devices.
He has coordinated several research projects funded by national and international agencies and foundations. He was the director of EPRIS (European Pharmaceutical Regulation and Innovation Systems), a research initiative supported by the Merck Foundation. He has given talks and lectures at, among the others: The Council of Foreign Relations, the Royal Institute of International Affairs, World Economic Forum, NBER, London School of Economics, MIT, Stanford University, Columbia University, UC Berkeley, the OECD, École des Mines, École Polytechnique, The John’s Hopkins University, the AAAS.
Selected Publications (in English)
- F. Pammolli, 2014, “Reputation and Impact in Academic Careers”, (with A. Petersen, H.E. Stanley, M. Riccaboni, O. Penner, S. Fortunato, R.K. Pan, K. Kaski), submitted for publication, The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
- F. Pammolli, 2013, “Is Europe Evolving Toward an Integrated Research Area?” (with A. Chessa, A. Morescalchi, O. Penner, A. Petersen, M. Riccaboni). Science, 339 (6120). pp. 650-651. ISSN 0036-8075 (2013)
- F. Pammolli, 2013, "Weighted networks as randomly reinforced urn processes" (with G. Caldarelli, A. Chessa, I. Crimaldi) Physical Review E, 87 (2). ISSN 1539-3755 (2013)
- F. Pammolli, 2013, Evolution of controllability in interbank networks. (with G. Caldarelli, S. Battiston, D. Delpini, M. Riccaboni, G. Gabbi) Nature Scientific Reports, 3 (1626). pp. 1-5. ISSN 2045-2322 (2013)
- F. Pammolli, 2013, Reconstructing a credit network. (with G. Caldarelli, A. Chessa, D. Delpini, M. Puliga, A. Gabrielli) Nature Physics, 9 (3). pp. 125-126. ISSN 1745-2473 (2013)
- F. Pammolli, 2012, Persistence and Uncertainty in the Academic Career. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. (with A. M. Petersen, M. Riccaboni, H. E. Stanley), ISSN 1091-6490 (2012)
- F. Pammolli, 2012, "The Evolution of Complex Networks: A New Framework", (with G. Caldarelli, A. Chessa, I. Crimaldi), technical report
- F. Pammolli, 2012, "Learning from Failures or Failing to Learn? Lessons from Pharmaceutical R&D", (with L. Magazzini, M. Riccaboni), European Management Review, 9(1), 45-58
- F. Pammolli, 2012, "The Value of Failures in Pharmaceuticals R&D", (with J. Chiou, L. Magazzini, M. Riccaboni), working paper (EIC Working Paper Series)
- F. Pammolli, 2012, "The Sustainability of European Health Care Systems: Beyond Income and Ageing", (with M. Riccaboni, L. Magazzini), The European Journal of Health Economics, , , Issue 5,
- F. Pammolli, 2011, “The productivity crisis in pharmaceutical R&D”, (with L. Magazzini, M. Riccaboni), Nature Reviews, vol. 10, 428-438
- F. Pammolli, 2011, "Innovation and Corporate Dynamics: A Theoretical Framework", (with J. Growiec, M. Riccaboni), working paper
- F. Pammolli, 2010, "Scale-free models for the structure of business firm networks", (with M. Kitsak, M. Riccaboni, S. Havlin, H.E. Stanley), Physical Review E, vol. 81
- F. Pammolli, 2009, "Patent Disclosure and R&D Competition in Pharmaceuticals", (with L. Magazzini, M. Riccaboni, M.A. Rossi), Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 18(5), 467–486
- F. Pammolli, 2005, "Intellectual Property, Technological Regimes and Market Dynamics", (with M. A. Rossi), Economia e Politica Industriale, 2/2005
- F. Pammolli, 2006, "Growth and Diversification Patterns of the Worldwide Pharmaceutical Industry", (with Giulio Bottazzi and Angelo Secchi), in G. Dosi e M. Mazzucato (eds), Knowledge Accumulation and Industry Evolution. The Case of Pharma-Biotech, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, pp. 208-233
- F. Pammolli, 2005, "The Growth of Business Firms: Theoretical Framework and Empirical Evidence", (with D. Fu, S.V. Buldyrev, M. Riccaboni, K. Yamasaki, K. Matia, H.E. Stanley) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 102(52), 18801-18806 (cover article)
- F. Pammolli, 2005, "Economic Evaluation of HIV Treatments: The I.CO.N.A. Cohort Study", (with M. Merito, A. Bonaccorsi, M. Riccaboni, G. Baio, C. Arici, A. D'Arminio Monforte, P. Pezzotti, D. Corsini, A. Tramarin, R. Cauda, V. Colangeli, G. Pastore), Health Policy, 74(3), 304-313
- F. Pammolli, 2005, "Medical Devices Competitiveness and Impact on Public Health Expenditure", (with M. Riccaboni, C. Oglialoro, L. Magazzini, N. Salerno, G. Baio), Entreprise Directorate-General, European Commission, Bruxelles.
- F. Pammolli, 2005, "Pharmaceuticals Analysed through the Lens of a Sectoral Innovation System", (with M. McKelvey, L. Orsenigo), Part II.3 in F. Malerba (Ed.), Sectoral Systems of Innovation. Concepts, Issues and Analyses of Six Major Sectors in Europe, Cambridge University Press
- F. Pammolli, 2004, "Statistical Properties of Business Firm Structure and Growth", (with K. Matia, D. Fu, S. V. Buldyrev, M. Riccaboni), Europhysics Letters, 67(3), 493-503
- F. Pammolli, 2004, "Market Structure and Drug Innovation", (with M. Riccaboni), Health Affairs, 23(1), 48-50
- F. Pammolli, 2004, "The Nature and Extent of the Market for Technology in Biopharmaceuticals" (with A. Arora, A. Gambardella, M. Riccaboni), Part 2, pp. 175-202, in F. Cesaroni, A. Gambardella e W. Garcia-Fontes (Eds.), R&D, Innovation and Competitiveness in the European Chemical Industry, Springer, Dordrecht, NL
- F. Pammolli, 2004, "Dynamic Competition in Pharmaceuticals: On Patent Expiry, Generic Penetration and Industry Structure", (with L. Magazzini, M. Riccaboni), European Journal of Health Economics, 5(2), 175-182
- F. Pammolli, 2004, "Technological Competencies in Networks of Innovators", (with M. Riccaboni), Chap. 6 in J. Cantwell, A. Gambardella, O. Granstrand (Eds.) The Economics and Management of Technological Diversification. Routledge studies in the modern world economy, Routledge, London, UK
- F. Pammolli, 2003, "On Size and Growth of Business Firms", (with G. De Fabritiis, M. Riccaboni) Physica A, 324(1-2), pp. 38-44
- F. Pammolli, 2003, "Technological Regimes and the Evolution of Networks. Lessons from Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals", (with M. Riccaboni), International Journal of Technology Management, 25(3), pp. 334-349
- F. Pammolli, 2003, "Public Research and Industrial Innovation: A comparison of U.S. and European Innovation Systems in the Life Sciences", (with J. Owen-Smith, W.W. Powell, M. Riccaboni), Chap. 10 in A. Geuna, A. Salter, E. Steinmueller, (Eds.), Science and Innovation: Rethinking the Rationales for Funding and Governance, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham
- F. Pammolli, 2002, "Innovation and Competitiveness in European Biotechnology", (with A. Allansdottir, A. Bonaccorsi, A. Gambardella, M. Mariani, L. Orsenigo, , M. Riccaboni), Enterprise Papers n. 7, Enterprise Directorate-General, European Commission, Bruxelles.
- F. Pammolli, 2002, "Technological Regimes and the Growth of Networks: An Empirical Analysis", (with M. Riccaboni), Small Business Economics, 19(3), 205-215
- F. Pammolli, 2002, "The Intensity of Competition after Patent Expiry in Pharmaceuticals: a Cross-country Analysis", (with L. Magazzini, L.Orsenigo), Revue d'Economie Industrielle, 99, 107-132
- F. Pammolli, 2002, "A Comparison of U.S. and European University-Industry Relations in the Life Sciences", (with J. Owen-Smith, W.W. Powell, M. Riccaboni), Management Science, 48(1), 24-43. Also in M. McKelvey & L. Orsenigo (Eds.), The Economics of Biotechnology, Volume II, 342-361, Edward Edgar, Cheltenham
- F. Pammolli, 2002, "On Firm Growth in Networks", (with M. Riccaboni), Research Policy, 31(8-9), 1405-1416
- F. Pammolli, 2002, "Europe and the United States: The Power of Networks. Lessons from Technology Transfer", (with J. Owen-Smith, , W.W. Powell, M. Riccaboni ), Biofutur, 222, 26-29
- F. Pammolli, 2001, "The Nature and the Extent of Markets for Technology", (with A. Arora, A. Gambardella, M. Riccaboni), CNRS, Collection Les Cahiers de l'Innovation, Cahier n. 37
- F. Pammolli, 2001, "Innovation and Corporate Growth in the Evolution of the Drug Industry", (with G. Bottazzi, G. Dosi, M. Lippi, , M. Riccaboni), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 19 (7), 1161-1187
- F. Pammolli, 2001, "Technological Change and Network Dynamics: Lessons from the Pharmaceutical Industry", (with L. Orsenigo, M. Riccaboni), Research Policy, 30(3), 485-508. Also in M. McKelvey & L. Orsenigo (Eds.), The Economics of Biotechnology, Volume II, 172-198, Edward Edgar, Cheltenham, UK
- F. Pammolli, 2001, "Variety and Irreversibility in Scientific and Technological Systems: the Evolution of an Industry Network", (with L. Orsenigo, M. Riccaboni), in A. Nicita, U. Pagano (Eds.), The Evolution of Economic Diversity, Routledge, London, 216-239
- F. Pammolli, 2001, "Global Competitiveness in Pharmaceuticals: A European Perspective" (with A. Gambardella, L. Orsenigo), DG Enterprise, European Commission, 2001.
- F. Pammolli, 1998, "The Evolution of Knowledge and the Dynamics of an Industry Network" (with A. Bonaccorsi, L. Orsenigo, M. Riccaboni, G. Turchetti), The Journal of Management and Governance, 1(2), 147-175
- F. Pammolli, 1996, "The Changing Boundaries of System Companies" (with A. Bonaccorsi, S. Tani), The International Business Review, 5(6), 539-560
Fabio Pammolli's Selected Publications (in Italian)
- F. Pammolli, 2011, "La distribuzione dei farmaci tra progetti di riforma e incertezze", (with N. C. Salerno), Economia e politica industriale, 38(2), 125-148.
- F. Pammolli, 2011, "Sistemi sanitari regionali alla sfida del federalismo: una proposta per il finanziamento federalista della sanità", (with N. C. Salerno), EyesREg Giornale di Scienze Regionali, 1(1).
- F. Pammolli, 2010, "Come velocizzare il passaggio al sistema di calcolo contributivo delle pensioni? Una proposta operativa per rafforzare l'aggancio alla vita attesa", (with N. C. Salerno), Rivista del diritto della sicurezza sociale 1/2010, 109-122.
- F. Pammolli, 2009, "Requisiti anagrafici di accesso alle pensioni differenziati tra pilastro pubblico e pilastro privato, per riformare il welfare system rispettando le scelte individuali", (with N. C. Salerno), Rivista del diritto della sicurezza sociale 2/2009, 433-440.
- F. Pammolli, 2009, "Corte di giustizia, età di pensionamento di vecchiaia per le donne e riforma delle pensioni e del welfare in Italia", (with N. C. Salerno), Rivista del diritto della sicurezza sociale 1/2009, 143-148.
- F. Pammolli, 2008, "La Sanità in Italia - Federalismo, regolazione dei mercati, sostenibilità delle finanze pubbliche", (with N. C. Salerno), Il Mulino, Bologna
- F. Pammolli, 2005, Modelli e Strategie di Marketing, Franco Angeli, Milano