Convex optimization methods and control of dynamical systems
1 Assistant Professor position
- Convex optimization, Operations research, Model predictive control.
- Research; tutorship and mentoring of the Institute's Ph.D. students; limited teaching; participation in the development of the Institute's research activities.
- Formal requirements:
Possession of a PhD in Engineering or Mathematics. An excellent level of both written and spoken English is mandatory.
Note: Please remember to fill in the "PhD section" with all relevant information when compiling the Online Application Form.
- Specific requirements:
IMT is seeking for an assistant professor with tenure track to carry out basic research in the area of convex optimization methods and their application to control of dynamical systems. The successful candidate will be interested in both theoretical research and in applications to practical problems. Research experience is expected in at least one of the following areas: optimization algorithms, model predictive control and dynamic optimization, stochastic optimization, control systems design based on optimization methods. Previous experience with applications of control/optimization to smart grids and energy markets is a plus, but candidates with experience in other application areas are welcome.
Candidates must have an excellent record of high-impact international publications and at least three years of postdoctoral research experience, with a focus on control and optimization. Candidates should demonstrate enthusiasm for performing applied research in the interdisciplinary research environment of the institute.
- Research Area:
- Computer Science and Applications
- Research Unit:
- DYSCO - Dynamical Systems, Control, and Optimization
- Type of contract:
- Ricercatore tempo determinato (legge 240/2010 art.24 comma 3 lettera b) ) - Tenure Track Assistant Professor
- Gross remuneration:
- max +/- €45,000 (130% of the salary of a tenured researcher as defined by law)
- 3 years
Selection procedure conditions are transparent and are based on international standards.
A Selection Committee, appointed by the Director, assesses all applications on the basis online application info and - if provided - reference letters. Applicants selected on the basis of the preliminary analysis are interviewed at the Job Market Meetings in which the Institute is planning to participate, if applicable to the specific academic sector. Alternatively, individual preliminary interviews may also be conducted at IMT or by conference call. Travel expenses to Lucca for the preliminary interview will not be reimbursed. Shortlisted candidates are invited for a Job Market Presentation open to IMT faculty members and students. Travel expenses for the Job Market Presentation will be reimbursed.
The evaluation criteria are based on: Quality of research activity, including publications in peer-reviewed journals and references; Research organization experience and participation in international/national research projects and research periods in public and private institutions (academic and non-academic); Relevance of the candidate's profile for the development of IMT's research activities; Teaching, mentoring and supervision experience; Motivation; Excellent knowledge of English, both written and spoken; As well as any other requirements as specified in the advertisement.
Apply ONLINE only.
Before starting prepare the application attachments and information as listed below.
- Personal info and contact info (compulsory)
- Number of your Identity Document (Passport or Identity Card) (compulsory)
- University degree (compulsory) and Ph.D. (obtained, or "ongoing")
- Name, position, institution and email address of three referees (compulsory)
- An email, with the appropriate instructions to upload the reference letters will be automatically generated and sent to your referees.
- Your CV in English (compulsory);
One research paper (published or working paper): compulsory.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to present this research paper in the final stage of the selection.
Up to 11 additional papers can be submitted for evaluation if desired (to be attached to your application in a single zip file where indicated in the online form)