Multi-physics characterization and simulation of degradation phenomena in polymers
1 Post Doctoral Fellow position
- Nonlinear finite element method, Polymers, Transport problems, Experimental characterization of polymers, Degradation of thermo-hygro-mechanical properties
Participation in the research activities of the ERC Starting Grant CA2PVM related to the development of multi-physics computational models for the study of the durability and performance of standard and innovative photovoltaic modules. In particular, research activities regard:
- Mathematical and experimental characterization of diffusive phenomena (thermal, moisture) in polymeric materials used to encapsulate solar cells.
- Mathematical and computational modelling of the multi-physics problem of degradation of the properties of polymeric materials.
- Numerical analysis and solution of the coupled partial differential equations governing the phenomena of thermo-hygro-mechanical degradation in polymers based on the finite element method.
- Research on mechanics of hyperelastic materials at finite deformation.
- General activities of support to the Institute research and supervision of PhD students
- Formal requirements:
PhD in Engineering, Materials science, Mechanics or related areas, or a four or five year undergraduate degree in Engineering, Chemistry, or Physics if the PhD is expected to be earned by the date of appointment.
Note: Please remember to fill in the "University Degree section" with all relevant information, included the Overall score / Average grade when compiling the Online Application Form.
An excellent level of both written and spoken English is mandatory.
- Specific requirements:
- Excellent experience in chemical, thermal and mechanical characterization of polymers in the laboratory. Experience in nonlinear finite element simulations of transport problems and in the mechanical behavior of components made of polymeric materials. Good programming skills il Matlab and in the use of finite element analysis softwares. Excellent publication track record on the topics of the call. Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English. Previous research collaborator/post-doc positions will constitute preferential titles.
- Research Area:
- Computer Science and Applications
- Research Unit:
- MUSAM - Multi-scale Analysis of Materials
- 1 year renewable up to the end of the ERC Grant
Selection procedure and criteria
Selection procedure conditions are transparent and are based on international standards.
A Selection Committee, appointed by the Director, assesses all applications on the basis online application info and - if provided - reference letters.Shortlisted candidates, selected on the basis of the preliminary analysis, are invited for a research presentation at IMT. Travel expenses to Lucca for theresearch presentation interview will not be reimbursed.
The evaluation criteria are based on: Quality of research activity, including publications in peer-reviewed journals and references; Research organization experience and participation in international/national research projects and research periods in public and private institutions (academic and non-academic);Relevance of the candidate's profile for the development of IMT's research activities; Teaching, mentoring and supervision experience; Motivation; Excellent knowledge of English, both written and spoken; As well as any other requirements as specified in the advertisement.
Apply ONLINE only.
Before starting prepare the application attachments and information as listed below.
- Personal info and contact info (compulsory)
- Number of your Identity Document (Passport or Identity Card) (compulsory)
- University degree (compulsory) and Ph.D. (obtained, or "ongoing")
- Name, position, institution and email address of three referees (compulsory)
- An email, with the appropriate instructions to upload the reference letters will be automatically generated and sent to your referees.
- Your CV in English (compulsory);
- One research paper (published or working paper): compulsory.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to present this research paper in the final stage of the selection.