Experimental activities and monitoring related to mechanics and durability of photovoltaic modules and their components
1 Post Doctoral Fellow position
- Mechanical testing, Scanning electron microscopy, Profilometry, Thermography, Digital image correlation
- Participation in the ERC Starting Grant CA2PVM research activities related to thermomechanical testing of brittle and ductile materials using multi-resolution (multi-scale) experimental methods. More specifically, activities regard: mechanical testing of samples inside a scanning electron microscope; surface roughness measurement with a confocal profilometer; strength and fracture mechanics testing of components; digital thermography; processing of experimental images according to the digital image correlation technique; realization of specimens and new experimental setups, when necessary; infrared monitoring of photovoltaic modules in the field.
- Formal requirements:
- PhD in Materials Science, or related area, or a four or five year undergraduate degree in a related field if the PhD is expected to be earned by the date of appointment. An excellent level of both written and spoken English is mandatory.
- Specific requirements:
- The applicant must show from his curriculum a capacity to perform experimental research in a laboratory for the characterization of materials and knowledge of infrared thermography for monitoring activities of photovoltaic modules in the field. Applicants must have a documented experience on the use of a scanning electron microscope (SEM). Research activities will regard: mechanical testing of samples inside a scanning electron microscope; roughness measurement with a confocal profilometer; strength and fracture mechanics testing of components; digital thermography; application of digital image correlation; infrared monitoring of photovoltaic modules in the field.
- Research Area:
- Computer Science and Applications
- Research Unit:
- MUSAM - Multi-scale Analysis of Materials
- up to the end of the ERC Grant
Selection procedure and criteria
Selection procedure conditions are transparent and are based on international standards.
A Selection Committee, appointed by the Director, assesses all applications on the basis online application info and - if provided - reference letters.Shortlisted candidates, selected on the basis of the preliminary analysis, are invited for a research presentation at IMT. Travel expenses to Lucca for theresearch presentation interview will not be reimbursed.
The evaluation criteria are based on: Quality of research activity, including publications in peer-reviewed journals and references; Research organization experience and participation in international/national research projects and research periods in public and private institutions (academic and non-academic);Relevance of the candidate's profile for the development of IMT's research activities; Teaching, mentoring and supervision experience; Motivation; Excellent knowledge of English, both written and spoken; As well as any other requirements as specified in the advertisement.
Apply ONLINE only.
Before starting prepare the application attachments and information as listed below.
- Personal info and contact info (compulsory)
- Number of your Identity Document (Passport or Identity Card) (compulsory)
- University degree (compulsory) and Ph.D. (obtained, or "ongoing")
- Name, position, institution and email address of three referees (compulsory)
- An email, with the appropriate instructions to upload the reference letters will be automatically generated and sent to your referees.
- Your CV in English (compulsory);
- One research paper (published or working paper): compulsory.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to present this research paper in the final stage of the selection.