Solid mechanics and mechanics of materials
1 Assistant Professor position
- Finite element method, Fracture/damage mechanics, Coupled problems in multi-physics, Error control and mesh adaptation, Multi-scale numerical methods
- Activity in the area of solid mechanics and mechanics of materials.
- Formal requirements:
Master in Engineering, Physics or Mathematics. Doctorate in structural mechanics, applied mechanics, mathematics, physics or in related areas. An excellent level of both written and spoken English is mandatory
Note: Please remember to fill in the "PhD section" with all relevant information when compiling the Online Application Form.
- Specific requirements:
Excellent background on the fundamentals of solid mechanics and mechanics of materials. Good programming skills in Matlab, preferable experience with numerical methods such as the finite element method, and/or the boundary element method, and/or molecular dynamics. The candidates' knowledge will be evaluated specifically regarding:
- Strong background on mechanics, strength of materials, solid mechanics;
- Knowledge of fracture mechanics, contact mechanics, structural integrity concepts;
- Previous research work in the fields of solid mechanics and mechanics of materials;
- Knowledge of numerical methods and scientific computing techniques.
- Research Area:
- Computer Science and Applications
- Research Unit:
- MUSAM - Multi-scale Analysis of Materials
- Type of contract:
- Ricercatore tempo determinato (legge 240/2010 art.24 comma 3 lettera a) ) - Fixed term researcher
- Gross remuneration:
- +/- €35,000 (100% of the salary of a tenured researcher as defined by law)
- 3 years, renewable for a maximum of 5 total years
Selection procedure conditions are transparent and are based on international standards.
A Selection Committee, appointed by the Director, assesses all applications on the basis online application info and - if provided - reference letters. Applicants selected on the basis of the preliminary analysis are interviewed at the Job Market Meetings in which the Institute is planning to participate, if applicable to the specific academic sector. Alternatively, individual preliminary interviews may also be conducted at IMT or by conference call. Travel expenses to Lucca for the preliminary interview will not be reimbursed. Shortlisted candidates are invited for a Job Market Presentation open to IMT faculty members and students. Travel expenses for the Job Market Presentation will be reimbursed.
The evaluation criteria are based on: Quality of research activity, including publications in peer-reviewed journals and references; Research organization experience and participation in international/national research projects and research periods in public and private institutions (academic and non-academic); Relevance of the candidate's profile for the development of IMT's research activities; Teaching, mentoring and supervision experience; Motivation; Excellent knowledge of English, both written and spoken; As well as any other requirements as specified in the advertisement.
Apply ONLINE only.
Before starting prepare the application attachments and information as listed below.
- Personal info and contact info (compulsory)
- Number of your Identity Document (Passport or Identity Card) (compulsory)
- University degree (compulsory) and Ph.D. (obtained, or "ongoing")
- Name, position, institution and email address of three referees (compulsory)
- An email, with the appropriate instructions to upload the reference letters will be automatically generated and sent to your referees.
- Your CV in English (compulsory);
One research paper (published or working paper): compulsory.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to present this research paper in the final stage of the selection.
Up to 11 additional papers can be submitted for evaluation if desired (to be attached to your application in a single zip file where indicated in the online form)