Finite element method; fracture mechanics; contact mechanics
The activity will regard the development of the mathematical formulation and its implementation into finite element analysis software of new nonlinear models to solve structural integrity problems of materials and structures. Those problems will involve contact and/of fracture, in line with the applications of the project "XFAST-SIMS: Extra fast and accurate simulation of complex structural systems".
The post-doctoral fellows will contribute to research, teaching and technology transfer activities of the IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca.
The IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca is looking for two post-doctoral fellows with experience in computational mechanics, with special focus on fracture mechanics and/or contact mechanics. The candidates will work within the research project of national interest PRIN 2017 "XFAST-SIMS: Extra fast and accurate simulation of complex structural systems". Therefore, the candidates should possess an excellent knowledge on how to implement user element routines in finite element analysis softwares for nonlinear mechanics simulations.
- A PhD in engineering, mechanics, systems science, or related areas (compulsory before the date of appointment);
- A suitable background for carrying out research activity;
- An excellent knowledge of English, both spoken and written.
- Candidates must demonstrate research experience in computational mechanics with a record of high-impact international publications, possibly obtained also through international collaborations.
- Research experience in fracture and/or contact mechanics is preferential.
1 year (renewable)
approx. 28500.00 €/year
PRIN "XFAST-SIMS: Extra fast and accurate simulation of complex structural systems" (MUR code 20173C478N)
Selection procedure and criteria
Selection procedure conditions are transparent and based on international standards.
A Selection Committee, appointed by the Director, assesses all applications on the basis of the online application form and - if provided - reference letters. Shortlisted candidates, selected on the basis of the preliminary analysis, are invited for a research presentation at IMT. Travel expenses to Lucca for theresearch presentation interview will not be reimbursed.
The evaluation criteria are based on: Quality of research activity, including publications in peer-reviewed journals and references; Research organization experience and participation in international/national research projects and research periods in public and private institutions (academic and non-academic);Relevance of the candidate's profile for the development of IMT's research activities; Teaching, mentoring and supervision experience; Motivation; Excellent knowledge of English, both written and spoken; As well as any other requirements as specified in the advertisement.
Apply ONLINE only.
Before filling in the application form, please read thoroughly the full call and collect all the files you may need:
- Personal info and contact info (compulsory)
- Number of your Identity Document (Passport or Identity Card - compulsory)
- University degree (compulsory) and Ph.D. (obtained, or "ongoing")
- Name, position, institution and email address of three referees (compulsory).
An email, with the instructions on how to upload the reference letters will be automatically sent to your referees.
- The scanned copy of a valid identity document (Passport or Identity Card - compulsory)
- Your CV in English (compulsory);
- One research paper, either a published one or a working paper (compulsory).
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to present this research paper in the final stage of the selection.